[SML] Student workers (was: Aggregrate hours for majors?)

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 21:02:10 UTC 2015

Dear Larry,
It is NOT about being paid in cash. It is about being coerced to be at a
location setting up chairs, for example, after the first call to do so has
been completed. There is not much 'new' to be learned at that point. This
is NOT just about an institution marshaling resources to spend the money
elsewhere. It is sending the wrong message to the students; They should be
encouraged to work Smarter, not Harder.  Many of the learning opportunities
of 'Shop Work' I had already gained at the commercial stage and studio
shops in Los Angeles. I think that I got a lot from 'The Magic of Light' by
Jean Rosenthal that I enjoyed  prior to college, and then it compared with
the Josef  Svoboda's book. I learned a lot about the effect of the design
and construction of Costuming working with Bob Mackey at CBS. You only get
out of life what you put in, and many students had the opportunity to get
involved as I did, but chose not to. I really enjoyed taking Mike
Westmore's prosthetic make-up class and an unrelated class in another
department the dealt with the toxicity of certain make-up and airborne
particulate matter, even though those classes were  not required. If you
will notice in my original posting, I encouraged students to negotiate with
their student-colleagues to make sure that each project was fully staffed.
(for Safety, as well as Aesthetic reasons) If done competently, no coercion
is required. I've often considered every show that I produce (400+) to be a
design opportunity for me, that I share with colleagues that I want to work
with, but I must convince potential investors to believe in the project,
often using spreadsheets and showing investors tax and other ramifications
of their investment, so money issues effect whether I can maintain my own
Artistic Freedom or become an employee and subject to somebody else's
artistic prerogatives. I get no Government funds.
/s/ Richard

/s/ Richard
_________