[SML] Cart Logistics Question

Dan Sheehan dsheehan.sml at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 14:58:21 UTC 2015

don't think that would work (correct me if i'm wrong)

with a normal offset caster,
 the wheel turns so the ground contact point trails behind the swivel point,
 making it self-steering;
to reverse direction 180', it has to go sideways a bit to "tell" the wheel
to steer.
Makes it a little difficult to maneuver but also makes it possible to
maneuver .

Take away that effect and the wheel will drag rather than roll
no matter which direction you push it in (except along the same line it's
already turned).

It would be like a pivotless fixed wheel except that its  direction would
be undefined
and subject to change without notice.

Caster angle is what makes it possible for cars, bicycles, motorcycles
to go straight when desired and to turn when desired.

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 8:54 AM, Brian Munroe via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> By "zero-offset" Dave does not mean (correct me if I am wrong) a
> zero-throw triple swivel caster (3 swivel casters mounted to a plate
> mounted to a bearing), but rather a caster where the wheel bearing/axle
> (horizontal rotation) is in-line with the bearing/mounting post of the
> caster body (vertical axis).  Making the point of contact between the wheel
> and the ground inline with the vertical rotation of the caster and
> eliminating the "throw" you get with a typical swivel caster as the wheel
> pivots around the mounting.
>
> Brian Munroe
>
> Sent from a rather small device with big fingers
>
> On Nov 22, 2015, at 8:37 AM, Bill Conner via Stagecraft <
> stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>
> Both the plate and the individual swivels? 16 locks? Or does someone make
> a zero throw with one lock that clamps the plate and all three individuals
> at once, all aligned?
> On Nov 21, 2015 5:19 PM, "Dave Vick via Stagecraft" <
> stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>
>> On Friday, November 20, 2015, sdwheaton via Stagecraft <
>> stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>>>

>>> They do make casters which allow you to lock the swivel when desired,
>>> best of all worlds.
>>>

>> Close... If they were truly the best of all worlds, they'd be locking
>> zero-offsets.

...Dan Sheehan
Fixer of things that break