[SML] Rain and lots of it

Ben Thoron SML bthoronsml at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 04:35:47 UTC 2015

An upcoming project is said to "require" rain all night onstage.  I
put it in quotes because, there's obviously no real harm in just
pretending its raining.  But, the current thinking is that rain is an
essential part of the story telling.

So- what I think happens when in rains inside a theatre for 2-3 hours
a night, for seven weeks is that we we run the risk of becoming a 650
seat terrarium...

Has any body had experience on a project where it rained, really
rained for the whole show?
Could you hear the actors, did the audience have to get up and pee,
did concessions run out of hot cocoa?  Was there mold EVERYWHERE?

I've done shows with some rain, 5 minutes or so, dumped 100s  of
gallons of water across the stage, made a pond (with a boat), and had
a swimming pool on stage.  Clearly, I'm not afraid of water, per
se...just getting wet and not being able to dry out.

I'd appreciate the wisdom of the list.

Thanks

Ben

Ben Thoron | technical director | the old globe | 619-235-2260| 619-
846-9529 Cell | 619-231-1037-fax | bthoron at theoldglobe.org