[SML] Audio panic solved

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Tue Oct 6 02:11:16 UTC 2015

On 10/5/2015 2:38 PM, e-mail frank.wood95 via Stagecraft wrote:

>> On 05 October 2015 at 18:30 Jerry Durand via Stagecraft
>> <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>>
>> A customer called in a panic, he got two audio amps for a project and
>> one is missing the "caps" on the back and no sound comes out. Got him
>> to send a picture of these mysterious caps. They go from "PRE OUT" to
>> "MAIN IN". Oh, THOSE "caps". I told him they're jumpers, use regular
>> audio cable. He seemed doubtful and wanted the exact replacement.
>> Sorry, I didn't supply the amplifiers, try the cables.
>>
>> Disaster averted.
>>
>> Apparently the manual doesn't mention this at all, how is the average
>> consumer like this guy supposed to make things work?
>
> By applying his or her intelligence. Although it seems to me to be a
> daft way to make an amplifier. Presumably it allows for the insertion of
> some signal processing device between the pre-amplifier and input
> selector and the main power amplifier. Why you would want to do this is
> hidden from me.

Only hidden because you choose not to look.     Say I was running a
venue that has a noise ordinance applied to it, or the health and safety
regulators have imposed maximum noise levels.  I could insert a limiter
there to ensure no matter how high the DJ turns up his volume, I don't
have to pay the fines for for his or her excessive volume levels.

Perhaps I have a room that can be reconfigured, and this reconfiguration
changes the accoustic properties of the room.  I could insert an EQ and
reverb unit here with a couple of different settings for the different
room configurations.    Say a church that opens up it's windows in the
summer, but closes them when the weather isn't so nice.

   There are many other scenarios where this capability is useful.

   ---Dale