[SML] Scrollers

billn at peak.org billn at peak.org
Tue Oct 6 12:14:46 UTC 2015

> Real close Michael, Stanley if I remember correctly did not use the
> terms key and fill (those being more photography terns and uses) but was
> big on the warm and cool concept at 45 deg angles. A couple of years ago
> I had a guy who was a photographer who wanted to learn about theatre
> lighting with a community theatre group I do a lot of work with. He
> still wants to call all front lights a key or fill lights. It is a
> constant battle with him and a couple of the other designers who keep
> asking me what he is talking about.

All the basic concepts are the same as for theatrical lighting. The simplest
solution might be to just learn the photographic terminology. After all,
theatrical lighting IS more complex than standard photographic portraiture
lighting.

However, the photographer is wrong if he believes the key light is always from
the front.

Bill