[SML] v-hazer ducting

Duncan Mahoney dmahoney at usc.edu
Thu Oct 8 17:48:57 UTC 2015

While I have not ducted the output of a v-hazer, I have ducted the output of all manner of other fog and haze machines and can share a bit of advice.

Air flows much better through smooth metal duct than flexible hose.  I've used both in-line duct fans and centrifugal blowers to boost the flow of fog/haze through the duct, there is a definite trade-off between noise and "air" flow.  You can purchase mufflers designed for dust collection systems, or easily build your own, the basic design involves a length of metal duct a few inches larger in diameter than the rest of your ducting, a reducing fitting for each end of the larger ducting, some flame retardant acoustical felt/batting/foam to line the larger duct with, and a tube made of hardware cloth with an ID the same as your smaller duct that keeps the acoustical material in place.  With fog there is a fair amount of fog fluid condensation inside the ducts and fan, YMMV with haze

Duncan Mahoney
Director of Technical Direction
Associate Professor of Theatre Practice
University of Southern California School of Dramatic Arts