[SML] bidding on a project

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 18:25:37 UTC 2015

I have signed a lot of DESIGN/BUILD contracts as a Producer since 1970. I
have found it to be both cost-effective and aesthetically satisfying.
Provider is required to maintain the set and take it all away at the end of
the run. If I need some piece again, I'll rent it, The same thing goes with
Costumes. Reasons include: Storage is expensive, I have NEVER had a
successful Workmen's Comp Claim filed against me, tax reasons, and
investors who want keepsakes. The Designer/Builder does a better job if
they know they'll be getting the item back for their stock.
/s/ Richard
_________

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 6:03 AM, Curtis Phillips via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> I have designed a set for a new company who does not have a builder so
> they are sending out the design for bidding.  They are getting some
> crazy feedback, so  I was wondering if people can comment on their own
> experiences of bidding on construction projects.
>
> Does one get paid for the time spent on a bid?  lets say you are
> building a set - how much information from a designer do you need in
> order to put together a bid?  How much time do you spend on a bid?
> anything else another should know from a bidder?
>
> Any info is appreciated.  thanks
>
> --
> Curtis Phillips
> Associate Professor/Scenic Designer