[SML] OT: Non-Standard Wiring Revisited

billn at peak.org billn at peak.org
Sun Oct 11 11:47:25 UTC 2015

> On Saturday, October 10, 2015, Bill Nelson via Stagecraft <
> stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>
> As a couple of others have stated, it is allowed - although certainly not
>> desirable. It is no different than plugging a lamp into a wall outlet.
>
> Except that it IS different, because if your hypothetical wall outlet goes
> Poof you can plug your hypothetical lamp into a different outlet on a
> different circuit. I certainly can't power my built- in ceiling fixtures
> off a different circuit...

If there is a different circuit available. What I meant was that there is no
electrical difference between a lamp hard wired into a circuit and a lamp
plugged into an outlet on that circuit.

> It may be Code-compliant, but personally I think it's a pointless and
> stupid way to wire a bathroom, bordering on recklessness.

I did state that it is undesirable, precisely because you lose all power in
the room if the GFCI trips. I would never wire lights and outlets on the same
circuit, but have seen it done that way in many places.

Bill