[SML] Dimming Cooling

Stephen Litterst litterst.stagecraft at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 13:13:08 UTC 2015

On 9/3/15 7:17 AM, Marty Petlock via Stagecraft wrote:
> Dimming cooling? Really? Anyone think we'll still be
> spec'ing dimmer rooms in 5 years? 10 Years?
>
> LEDs don't need them nor do movers so what will
> new facilities need to dim? Most touring events
> carry their own if needed. Cost of fixtures yes
> but think of all the copper feed and HVAC you
> won't have to buy.

Valid points, except the original question was regarding replacing HVAC
in an existing dimmer room.  Copper feed and heat sources is already there.

Look, I appreciate that everyone thinks LEDs are the wave of the future.
  I've done the research and drank the Flavor-Aid myself.  But there are
still millions of conventional luminaires out there, and hundreds, if
not thousands of theatres with traditional dimming systems who are not
going to have the capital to tear out all that copper any time soon.
Dimmer racks may well be a lame-duck technology, but I don't think it's
a stretch to say that they'll be with us for a few more decades at least.

Steve L.

--
Stephen Litterst            Technical Operations Supervisor
litterst at udel.edu           Mitchell Hall