[SML] The future of luminaires

John McAfee jrpmcafee at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 15:19:22 UTC 2015

The idea (if I remember) was the added movement of the video and the flexibility of it for multiple pieces: just load a new file.  I think it was aimed at burlesque with generally a smaller stage and not a large cast.

I don't know that what I saw was much more than what I could get out of dichroic changers with gobo rotators, except there was an infinite choice of gobos.  But just like most other tech, the intervening 7 years have brought much higher resolution for cheaper and it is worth thinking about what could be done more easily with a high powered projector and a video file. (Versus what will remain easier by spinning a dial to control a moving light. If you have to tweak the file and reload it after any major change in blocking that seems hugely cumbersome.  But a future light board with a set rendering loaded up where you could trace the path you needed and assign it to a "projector-like device" along with color, texture, internal movement, etc. to create a moving spot could be interesting).

However, if we would be heavying up all the lights for this, why wouldn't we add speaker capability as well, allowing for much more flexibility in sound, then we can run sound and lights from the same desk (and run into the iTunes problem of trying to shove too much into one thing making it cumbersome and prone to error and the corporate problem of "why do we need to hire two designers for one desk?")