[SML] The future of luminaires

Paul Marsland pmarsland at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 20:59:10 UTC 2015

May I respectfully say, blah, blah, blah.

The buggy whip manufacturers pooh-poohed those faddish motorized vehicles.

Large parts of the film industry ridiculed movies produced with "sound";
who would want that?

And who thought we'd see the end of a 60 watt A lamp?  Not too many dark
hallways, just replacement technology.

Tools are going to develop, progress, and change.  Other tools are going to
atrophy, become outlawed, fall out of favor.

In ten years you can used a Quartz lamp and gel, if you can find them. Or
you can use what is then current technology with whatever faults you want
to cling to.

So don't use them now as front light because they don't emit a properly in
the 520 range. Or don't use them at all if you can't afford them. But to
complain about the technical shortcomings of a relatively nascent or
cross-purposed technology is a bit short sighted.

And PS - likely there is some unfavorable or unexpected spectral issues
with L161 and L152, just like you ponder, but not so much that Ken
Billington didn't use them for high sides in EVERY show he did for years,
so much so that John McKernon joked about auto-populating them in
Lightwright every time he started a new file.

--
Paul Marsland
+1 919-239-0551