[SML] media servers: was Re: Future of Luminaires

Joe D jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 9 23:07:38 UTC 2015

Mike  Katz said;
> you will find that RP screeens have a wide range of viewing
> angles. Twin white has a 160 degree viewing cone.

Even the screens with wide viewing cones can have issues with the short throw projectors.  This is because the projected light is coming towards the screen a a very harsh angle towards the sides, and the edge opposite the projector. So for the extreme short throw kind, they may not even permit a perfectly centered viewer to see the entire screen with acceptable brightness.

One solution to this, is a type of screen called a "Holographic Optical Element". It does not project holograms, but is in essence, a hologram of a lens.  It will accept  light from a fairly narrow source spot, and then transmit it in the direction and spread that the creator of the screen designed into the screen.  But, these screens are neither cheap, nor very large. If I recall correctly, the were running very roughly in the $5,000 range for a 5'x9' screen perhaps 5 years ago.They must be very specifically designed for the location of the projector and its beam spread.  They might be good for a special effect where you want a live actor to interact with a projected image, but will probably see very limited use in theater. I have not seen them designed for the very short-throw projectors, but I haven't looked in a number of years.

I suspect the real game change will be if they ever make the roll-up flat screen both large and reasonably affordable. E-ink and OLEDs both promised to do this, though they have been slow to develop to the point that they could be used in this way.  But, if they do eventually fulfill their original promise, then there is no more painting flats.  You just program the flat with the image you want, though you will be more restricted in sizes for the flats.

Dimensional sets will still be necessary, and I don't see that going away with any near future technology.

Joe Dunfee