[SML] Raked staging

Wayne Rasmussen rasmuw at blair.edu
Thu Sep 10 19:22:46 UTC 2015

I've built and shingled rooves in the summer.  A 5 pitch (5" rise for 12"
run--22.6 degrees) is fairly easy to walk on with asphalt shingles.
Having actors walk on a wood ramp at that pitch would make them feel and
look uncomfortable.  It's just hard to be graceful on that pitch.  It's
not too difficult to walk on rooves with pitches up to 8 (33.7 degrees)
with those same asphalt shingles.  Without throwing some sand in with the
paint, it's nearly impossible to walk an 8 pitch.  With really soft shoes
and asphalt shingles, it is possible to negotiate 12 pitch (the 45 degrees
your director hopes for) but is extremely uncomfortable.

As suggested, mock up a 4x8 platform with a 12 pitch and ask the director
to give it a try.  Please take a video to share.

I agree with previous posters--1" rise for 12" run is pretty easy.  1"
rise for 10" run isn't too bad either.  I would not exceed them.

Wayne Rasmussen
Blair Academy