[SML] raked platform

Duncan Mahoney dmahoney at usc.edu
Thu Sep 10 19:35:38 UTC 2015

If your actors are "4As", the union will have an opinion about this rake...

Last time I built an AEA rake, it was 1/2" to the foot without training, or 1" to the foot if training was done.  I don't know what training is required, we built at 1/2"

Given a size of 4' X 12', this sounds more like a ramp than a rake, unless it's raked across the 4' dimension.  I've done a few ramps as steep as 2" to the foot, had to put some sort of traction aid on every one, and railings along a couple of them.  No stopping to act on the ramp, just going up and down.  At 7' above stage level, it does not seem railings could be optional

I agree mocking this up for the director with a 4X8 platform at ground level would be instructive.  Unless the Director is a mountain climber or professional roofer, s/he probably has no idea how hard it is to stand, move, and keep your balance on a steep slope.

Duncan Mahoney
Director of Technical Direction
Associate Professor of Theatre Practice
University of Southern California School of Dramatic Arts