[SML] Small touring Christmas carol

Erin Joy Swank erinjoyswank at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 00:54:23 UTC 2015

I am the production manager for Central City Opera's touring programs. Ours
are more of a series of opera arias/duets/scenas and musical theatre
solos/scenes strung together, so our production needs aren't too specific -
no balconies needed. What I've found works well to transform just about any
space are 2 to 4 tri-fold wicker screens (and hey, if we get an actual
stage, it helps fill up the space and lights play great on them). We have a
couple of them we added backing to, including all the way to the
bottom, and can position them either upstage or on the sides to create
"offstage" areas and crossovers as desired. That and a couple fake ficus
trees and plants can really fill up a space quickly. And most of our shows
have "the ubiquitous bench" - a fake stone looking plastic curved bench,
weighted if possible so they can stand on it easily. When tables are
needed, we use either the collapsible three-stick-legs round ones with a
decent tablecloth from Bed Bath and Beyond, or else a small rectangular
folding table. If we have time, we throw around more fake ivy - on screens,
bases of trees, wherever looks nice. If more props are needed, yes, we've
done the treasure chest o' props on stage, too. We also have a square
wicker box that can hold a multitude of sins and add as decor. And most of
our decor I've picked up at thrift stores over the years, other than the
screens.

We don't necessarily bring our own lighting (though I have some simple DJ
lights for the smallest venues), though we always have a battery-operated
light for the pianist.

Hope that's helpful.

Erin

Erin Joy Swank