[SML] Ratings of household lighting fixtures

James D Smith, RC4 Wireless jds at theatrewireless.com
Tue Sep 22 16:01:36 UTC 2015

I have put a few products through UL, CSA, TUV, etc.,, and I would
expect they (a) determined the safe temperatures of materials near the
bulb and any other sources of heat, and (b) put thermal sensors all over
a test unit and operated it until all measurements stabilized. The
primary objective is to ensure nothing burns or off-gasses, and that no
easily touched surfaces could cause burns.

For electrical components, everything will be rated for the maximum
current a household circuit could provide, i.e. 15A or perhaps 20A.

In my opinion, the lumen output is not a factor, the only issues are
heat (for fire safety and avoiding burns) and current draw (for
electrical and fire safety). The max is 60W of power draw, determined
under the assumption that an incandescent lamp is used and almost all of
that energy becomes heat.  Thus, there is really a lot of safe headroom
when using a light source that does not generate as much heat.

Jim
RC4 Wireless