[SML] flemish eye

Kim Hartshorn hartshwk at plattsburgh.edu
Tue Sep 22 20:16:34 UTC 2015

When I have made flemish eyes....not in any rigging critical situations, I
have never wrapped it beyond the throat,  I believe when swaged the swage
keeps the wrap of the eye together.  Since neither side of the cable is
actually cut you still have the full strength of the wire rope.  If you are
tying it around a thimble you want the eye larger than the thimble so the
swage slide down the cable and tighten the eye around the thimble with the
end of the wrap well inside the swage.  As I understand it...which might be
completely wrong :-)