[SML] Sub-batten rigging suggestions....

Bruce Purdy bpurdy at rochester.rr.com
Fri Sep 25 20:53:00 UTC 2015

Bill Sapsis  wrote:

> You cannot choke both ends of a roundsling.  You can choke one end but the other end will require a shackle or a similar device.

	Is that a safety rule, or a practicality matter? Normally I can see where you can’t choke both ends, but with a short “sub batten,” it seems like you could form a choke and slide the pipe in. Of course you wouldn’t have any adjustment, but would that be wrong to do?

> My concern with using a roundsling is that it could possibly slip along the pipe.  As I’m sure you’ve seen, people, especially kids, love to grab on to legs and pull them around.  They could conceivably pull the leg hard enough to pull the sub-pipe out of the sling.  Yeah, I know it’s a bit farfetched but it could happen.

	If the legs are tied to the sub batten on both sides of each Spanset  (er, excuse me - Roundsling) then it should be effectively locked in place.

> With a chain/shackle/batten clamp assembly it can’t possibly happen.  I like that a lot better.

	I’d certainly agree that this would be a better solution for a permanent situation. I’m just curious about the above.

> *Spanset is a brand name that is sometimes used as the generic name for synthetic roundslings.  I’ve got nothing against Spanset but I do prefer to call rigging equipment by it’s proper name.  Makes for better accuracy.  I like accuracy.

	If Bill has the sniffles, Don’t anybody offer him a Kleenex, and don’t offer to make any Xerox copies for him! He prefers “Facial tissues” and “Electrostatic copies!”   ;-)

Bruce
-----
Bruce Purdy
Central New York Magic Theatre Co.