[SML] Lighting on a Budget

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 21:56:38 UTC 2015

> In January I will giving a short talk to high school educators about
> lighting on a budget.  While I have some ideas and advice to offer, I
> was wondering what everyone else might think is important for these
> educators to consider when trying to light a show with a minimal
> budget.

My first reaction was to talk about lighting positions and the
necessity for safe access.  Whether it's catwalks or motorized battens
and bounce focusing or focus track or other FOH, and Genies or scissor
lift or other on stage, can't do ladders over chairs and such.

All my projects are on a budget so not sure exactly what that means or
where these folks are starting - new build, renovation/system
replacement, or trying to improve a bad situation without much money.
I believe in providing a robust lighting system and most of our high
schools (and middle schools) have between 100 and 150 focusing units
about 60-65% LED and the balance quartz with solo dimmers an an Ion
class console.  I want the students excited by the great stuff
available today

But safety first - no zip cords or junk that is no longer compliant
with its listing and see to it that the electrical installation is
safe, and no import/dj crap that won't be working in a year.

--
Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC