[SML] Lighting on a Budget

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 28 22:27:04 UTC 2015

>     On 28 September 2015 at 22:56 Bill Conner via Stagecraft
> <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>

>     > In January I will giving a short talk to high school educators about
>     > lighting on a budget. While I have some ideas and advice to offer, I
>     > was wondering what everyone else might think is important for these
>     > educators to consider when trying to light a show with a minimal
>     > budget.
>
>     My first reaction was to talk about lighting positions and the
>     necessity for safe access. Whether it's catwalks or motorized battens
>     and bounce focusing or focus track or other FOH, and Genies or scissor

I agree with that. When I was young and agile, I accessed luminaires in all
sorts of fashions, some of which were distinctly hazardous. I survived. Most of
us will have done that sort of thing.

There is, these days, a very sharp distinction between "the show must go on" and
"the safety rules must be complied with". The lawyers seem to have pre-empted
the second of these.