[SML] Lighting on a Budget

Stephen Litterst litterst.stagecraft at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 12:37:35 UTC 2015

On 9/28/15 5:56 PM, Bill Conner via Stagecraft wrote:

> But safety first - no zip cords or junk that is no longer compliant
> with its listing and see to it that the electrical installation is
> safe,

Right.  Cheaper extension cords may be an attractive option, but no
one's health is worth saving money.  And see below about replacement of
cheap gear.

and no import/dj crap that won't be working in a year.

To build off of this...

It's better to have fewer units that will last than many units that have
to be replaced frequently.

A $100 LED unit may seem like a better deal than a $250 incandescent
Source4, but you'll buy 5-8 of those cheap LEDs as replacements over the
life of the Source4.

I'll close with what I told the student designers at my previous job.
You'll do far more shows with 20 instruments than you will with 200+.
The gear is not the limitation, your imagination is.

Steve L.

--
Stephen Litterst            Technical Operations Supervisor
litterst at udel.edu           Mitchell Hall