[SML] Lighting on a Budget

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 14:38:19 UTC 2015

I have come to believe that treating student labor as "free" is
ultimately counterproductive to the mission of most institutions.
It's not different than treating a faculty or staff persons labor as
"free" because they are salaried.  In both cases, the loss is what
they could be doing - like learning and teaching - instead of
schlepping.  I try in my theatre planning and design to minimize the
donkey work.  Besides, as Steve suggests, you can do better quality
with 20 good units that work reliably and consistently than 200 pieces
of crap (and waste less time - a precious resource), and isn't better
quality what we should be teaching?

--
Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC