[SML] Lighting on a Budget

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 16:09:58 UTC 2015

I have often complained about institutions requiring 'Work Hours' as part
of the curriculum, but for other reasons. It sends the wrong message to
students who wish to make Theatre a career. How can a student get a
realistic exposure to the cost of realizing their dream if there is no
provision for electricity to occupancy to toilet paper to taxes to
insurance to tools to the cost of ticket sales, in the budget?
/s/ Richard
_________

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 7:38 AM, Bill Conner via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> I have come to believe that treating student labor as "free" is
> ultimately counterproductive to the mission of most institutions.
> It's not different than treating a faculty or staff persons labor as
> "free" because they are salaried.  In both cases, the loss is what
> they could be doing - like learning and teaching - instead of
> schlepping.  I try in my theatre planning and design to minimize the
> donkey work.  Besides, as Steve suggests, you can do better quality
> with 20 good units that work reliably and consistently than 200 pieces
> of crap (and waste less time - a precious resource), and isn't better
> quality what we should be teaching?
>
> --
> Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC

/s/ Richard