[SML] Plasa/ESTA breakup

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 14:03:28 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 8:41 PM, Kristi R-C via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> Finally had a chance to read the article and it did fill in many holes.
>
> Something I've always wondered: Why are ESTA and USITT not together?
>
> Kristi

Look at the mission statements.  From the ESTA bylaws:

"Objectives
The Association is a nonprofit mutual benefit corporation organized
under the California Nonprofit Mutual Benefit Corporation Law. The
purpose of the Association is to engage in any lawful act or activity
for which a corporation may be organized under such law consistent
with Section 501(c)(6) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as
amended, including, without limitation, the following:
(a) To promote the interest of its members and act for their mutual benefit.
(b) To promote efficiency in the conduct of their business and to
eliminate unwise and unfair business practices.
(c) To promote the interest of its members (and the industries in
which they participate) in relation to taxation and legislative
issues.
(d) To advise and assist the members in the conduct of their own
businesses and to promote standards of ethical business practices.
(e) To do any and all things necessary or incidental thereto"

And from the USITT bylaws:

"PURPOSES

SECTION 2.01 — PURPOSES. This Section is formed for the following purposes:
A. To conduct research within these fields of theatrical related
activity: technology, design, construction, equipment, presentation,
and operation, and to consolidate and disseminate the results of such
research to the membership.
B. To investigate and recommend professional practices within these fields.
C. To establish contacts between members of The Section and other
organizations involved in theatre to promote the exchange of
knowledge.
D. To provide representation and participation in conferences,
assemblies, and other gatherings where matters of theatre technology,
design, construction equipment, presentation and operation are
discussed."

I'll let you draw your own conclusions, but the difference seems clear
to me.  Different constituencies and different priorities, some
mutually exclusive.

--
Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC