[SML] Plasa/ESTA breakup

Charlie Richmond charlie.rsd at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 14:55:02 UTC 2016

Indeed.  Despite that I think merging the two would be beneficial (to USITT
especially), the assumption seems to be that ESTA is constituted by the
business community whereas USITT, in my experience, has never been
particularly business oriented.

C-)

On 1 April 2016 at 07:03, Bill Conner via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 8:41 PM, Kristi R-C via Stagecraft
> <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> > Finally had a chance to read the article and it did fill in many holes.
> >
> > Something I've always wondered: Why are ESTA and USITT not together?
> >
> > Kristi
>
> Look at the mission statements.  From the ESTA bylaws:
>
> "Objectives
> The Association is a nonprofit mutual benefit corporation organized
> under the California Nonprofit Mutual Benefit Corporation Law. The
> purpose of the Association is to engage in any lawful act or activity
> for which a corporation may be organized under such law consistent
> with Section 501(c)(6) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as
> amended, including, without limitation, the following:
> (a) To promote the interest of its members and act for their mutual
> benefit.
> (b) To promote efficiency in the conduct of their business and to
> eliminate unwise and unfair business practices.
> (c) To promote the interest of its members (and the industries in
> which they participate) in relation to taxation and legislative
> issues.
> (d) To advise and assist the members in the conduct of their own
> businesses and to promote standards of ethical business practices.
> (e) To do any and all things necessary or incidental thereto"
>
> And from the USITT bylaws:
>
> "PURPOSES
>
> SECTION 2.01 — PURPOSES. This Section is formed for the following purposes:
> A. To conduct research within these fields of theatrical related
> activity: technology, design, construction, equipment, presentation,
> and operation, and to consolidate and disseminate the results of such
> research to the membership.
> B. To investigate and recommend professional practices within these fields.
> C. To establish contacts between members of The Section and other
> organizations involved in theatre to promote the exchange of
> knowledge.
> D. To provide representation and participation in conferences,
> assemblies, and other gatherings where matters of theatre technology,
> design, construction equipment, presentation and operation are
> discussed."
>
> I'll let you draw your own conclusions, but the difference seems clear
> to me.  Different constituencies and different priorities, some
> mutually exclusive.
>

> --
> Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC

* Charlie Richmond - http://www.RichmondSoundDesign.com
<http://www.richmondsounddesign.com/>
* Viber: +16047159441 Skype, LinkedIn & Twitter: charlierichmond
* facebook: charlie.richmond
* facebook.com/pages/Richmond-Sound-Design-Ltd/130195960832
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Richmond-Sound-Design-Ltd/130195960832>
* google.com/+CharlieRichmond google.com/+Richmondsounddesign