[SML] The more things change...

billn at peak.org billn at peak.org
Tue Apr 5 18:10:45 UTC 2016

> This issue has hit me many times.  Where I draw the moral line would probably
> fall close to where the parents in the article would draw the lines. I realize
> that others here on this list have other moral lines they won't cross.
> Personally, I would be willing to portray a pedophile in a play, providing the
> play did not actually require me to do the deed, and didn't send the message
> that pedophilia was OK.

The problem is not where specific individuals may have moral boundaries. It is
where those individuals try, and unfortunately often succeed, in forcing their
moral viewpoints onto everyone else.

> I suspect an important consideration for a school is that the more you allow
> in terms of morality at a public school theater, the more you erode support
> for theater and the more it is considered a"School for Scandalization"

I have never been convinced that this is true, one way or the other. For one
thing, what would be "scandalous" to one person is probably perfectly
acceptable to many others.

If a person has moral objections to the subject matter in a play, the solution
is simple - do not attend or participate. Just don't try to prohibit others
from making their own choices.

Bill