[SML] The more things change...

Pat Kight kightp at peak.org
Wed Apr 6 02:12:31 UTC 2016

Bill Conner via Stagecraft wrote:

> I love the unintended consequences of that kind of action.

Me, too.

In 1988 I directed a production of "Inherit the Wind" staged in the
local county courthouse as part of its Centennial celebration - grand
old building, and a judge surrendered one of the courtrooms to us (and
let us install bleacher seating over the wooden pew-style courtroom
seats) for a few weeks. Pre show, I had actors all over the building as
if en route to the Scopes "monkey trial" - including the fire &
brimstone preacher and his sign-toting congregants.

Imagine my delight when a local fundamentalist sect showed up on opening
night to hand out leaflets - probably written in the 1930s, from the
looks of them - protesting "Darwinism". The actors wanted to engage
them, and I told them they had to do it in character, as if these were
members of their own community, or not at all. It was all so convincing
that many audience members were convinced the actual protestors were
part of the cast. (I'm sure they walked away confused, but nobody
insulted them or treated them disrespectfully, and I was pretty happy
about that, too.)

And yes, when the local paper reported it, we saw a spike in ticket sales.

--
Pat Kight
kightp at peak.org