[SML] Band Saws

Keith Newman keithbnewman at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 15:39:13 UTC 2016

It is hard to be a steward of the school when they kick your but out the
door.  I am really glad to be back here though.  I had a big hand in
specifying what I wanted at our temporary facility and an even larger hand
in developing requirements and specifications in our soon to be rehabbed
Auditorium and the new shop.

Some good news came about after I was rehired.  My position is not only
safe but it is being expanded.  My program is going to become a full career
tech program that can have students attending it from three school
districts (hopefully, soon to be five).  There is a lot of good that can
come from it.  It is pretty exciting to switch from an after school and
lunch period club activity into curriculum.  There was and is a lot of
teaching and learning going on but the added option of students getting to
spend two, one and a half hour classes per year with me for two years is a
really cool thing that I would have loved as a student.  All of this will
get me full teacher status and a bump in pay.  That takes care of a lot of
supervision concerns for the district and also enables me to directly
supervise students on field trips.  I am hoping to bring a group down to
the USITT Ohio Valley Fall conference this year and maybe the national
conference in a couple more years.

One guy was busted with some things from the school, none of it was from my
department though.  The theft issues hit a few departments very hard.  The
Instrumental department lost all of their guitars for their guitar class.
Insurance covered replacing the microphones and the musical equipment but
none of it should have ever been an issue.  The way the move was conducted
obviously needs to be revisited before we return to our rebuilt building. I
would hope our administrators would be on top of it but quite honestly,
unless our insurance company steps in and looks at the practices
surrounding the move, I doubt anything will change.

Anyhow... Carla, thank you for the suggestion.  The VFD is a great idea.  I
don't anticipate cutting a lot of metal on the band saw but having the
ability to slow down the blade for it may come in handy for the
unanticipated thing that will come up and bite me in the backside if I
don't have it as an option.

Keith