[SML] The more things change...

Chip Wood chip.a.wood at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 00:13:23 UTC 2016

Back when I was a wee lad 1946, Disney produced "A Song of the South"
where the lead human character was a very wise old black man  (he may
have been a slave, but It's set after the Civil War) .  That film is
locked in Disney's USA vault only to be seen in the EU and Asia.  I
really don't know what the USA reaction would be today, but I didn't
grow up to be a racist and my son and several grandchildren are black or
mixed.  We have come to be extremely sensitive on both ends of the
spectrum and somehow the golden mean "take it with a grain of tolerance
because it not going to end the world" has been lost.  I grew up in
segregated schools and the first black students at the U of Florida
played football while I was there.  But my wife student taught at the
local black school because she was the only one willing.  Believe me
that school was NOT "separate but equal"

Yesterday a white professor was charged with correcting grammar and
spelling  on a black student's paper as "discrimination".  I did that on
every paper I graded regardless of anything- gender, race, religion,
quality of paper stock, etc.

Chip 1