[SML] horn spit as bio-hazard?

Riter, Andrew andrew.riter at ubc.ca
Fri Apr 15 19:07:23 UTC 2016

So what do concert halls or symphony houses (or university music classrooms) do about spit left behind by the brass section?

Does anyone treat it as a bio-hazard?
What cleaning methods are used (if any) post show, or longer term clean-up?

A carpenter here recently brought it up, in relation to the folding decks we use.  Since we handle the decks after they've been "spat" on, is there something we (the venue) should be doing about it, for the protection of the staff, cleanliness of the venue or equipment?

Just curious as to how different venues consider this issue.

(we get both paying client symphonies, and the university band and orchestra classes)

Thanks.

Andrew M. Riter
Assistant Technical Director / Head Lighting Technician

Chan Centre for the Performing Arts
6265 Crescent Road
Vancouver, BC
V6T 1Z1