[SML] horn spit as bio-hazard?

Stephen Litterst litterst.stagecraft at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 19:27:04 UTC 2016

On 4/15/16 3:07 PM, Riter, Andrew via Stagecraft wrote:
> So what do concert halls or symphony houses (or university music
> classrooms) do about spit left behind by the brass section?
>
> Does anyone treat it as a bio-hazard?

According to all of my brass professors in college, that's not spit,
it's condensation.  As the hot air moves through the brass tubes, the
water vapor condenses on the walls of the tube, gathering in the low
crooks, where the valves are used to dump it on the floor.

As a former brass player, I half-believe this. I know there was far more
liquid coming out of my cornet than I was putting into it.  But I'm sure
some of it was saliva.

Of course, this didn't answer your question.

Steve L.
--
Stephen Litterst            Technical Operations Supervisor
litterst at udel.edu           Mitchell Hall