[SML] horn spit as bio-hazard?

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Fri Apr 15 20:56:33 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 12:27 PM, Stephen Litterst via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> According to all of my brass professors in college, that's not spit, it's
> condensation.  As the hot air moves through the brass tubes, the water vapor
> condenses on the walls of the tube, gathering in the low crooks, where the
> valves are used to dump it on the floor.

Yeah, I've been told that too. And if anyone believes there's no
bacteria or virii coming along for the ride out the spit valve....
well, I might have a bridge to sell you.

I'm interested in other peoples' experiences as well - one of my
colleagues also suggested a "bodily fluid" cleanup response is called
for.... (Which would be great, if custodial ever touched our stage,
but alas.....  Besides, are they around each and every time there's an
impromptu brass ensemble deciding to use my stage as a practice room
because it's the only space available?)

>From what I hear, our custodial only mops the band rooms once a month
anyway....    ugh.

--