[SML] horn spit as bio-hazard?

Richard John Archer rja10 at cornell.edu
Sun Apr 17 01:56:42 UTC 2016

> >> According to all of my brass professors in college, that's not spit, it's
> >> condensation.  As the hot air moves through the brass tubes, the water vapor
> >> condenses on the walls of the tube, gathering in the low crooks, where the
> >> valves are used to dump it on the floor.

Well that's just BS.
I've played the tuba since 4th grade (1957-58).  There's a good reason why they tell you to wash your brass instrument (mild dishwashing detergent will do)  Or douse with (isopropyl) alcohol.
(personally I think a good rum would do).

Also a good reason piston valves corrode etc.   Just google it up with health hazard.

DickA
TD, Cornell U

I forgot......also higher risk for  hypersensitivity pneumonitis.....sort of like asthma from your horn.