[SML] International travel with ATA CARNET and tools

Michael Sauder michael.sauder at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 12:41:39 UTC 2016

Question for the folks who work internationally: Do you file an ATA CARNET
for your personal hand tools?

I have one Pelican case that has basic tools of my trade (multimeter,
labeler, a bag of screwdrivers/wire strippers/etc, portable soldering iron,
12V drill, etc). Stuff I use frequently and don't want to waste time
sourcing locally or constantly borrowing.

I've traveled in and out of Brazil twice and no one batted an eye at the
Pelican case. However on Sunday I'm flying to Thailand, and I'm being told
I need to file an ATA CARNET. The total cost to get same day ATA CARNET
service is upwards of $400. At that point I might as well just par down my
essentials even further and buy the rest locally.

So I'm curious if others have had any issues flying with tools?

Thanks!
Michael

--
Michael Sauder