[SML] International travel with ATA CARNET and tools

Jared Fortney jared.fortney at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 15:15:20 UTC 2016

Who is saying that the carnet is necessary? According to the Thai
tourism website, the duty free allowance is more than US$2000 for
personal or professional items.
[http://www.tourismthailand.org/About-Thailand/Custom-Immigration]
This should be enough to get basic electronic tools in.

Do you have some sort of working immigration status in Thailand? This
could help make the case that you will be in and out to do some
specific work and not importing items for sale. Even a letter from the
client/employer explaining your travel purpose might help in the event
you need to explain what the tools are for.  I've never been to
Thailand to know how their customs system works, but you could always
take your chances with customs clearance at the airport.  If they
don't want you to bring the tools without a carnet, maybe you can
store them at the airport until you leave again.

If you are taking any electronics of high value with you, you might
consider registering them with US CBP before you leave in order to
ease concerns that you are exceeding your duty free limit on return.

Good luck!

-Jared