[SML] International travel with ATA CARNET and tools

Michael Sauder michael.sauder at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 08:31:42 UTC 2016

On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 11:15 AM, Jared Fortney via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Who is saying that the carnet is necessary? According to the Thai
> tourism website, the duty free allowance is more than US$2000 for
> personal or professional items.
> [http://www.tourismthailand.org/About-Thailand/Custom-Immigration]
> This should be enough to get basic electronic tools in.

Thanks Jared. The people saying this was the import company that was
retained by the Thailand client to help us with importing equipment.
Primarily permanent equipment, but when we mentioned work tools they where
quite firm in saying a carnet was required.

As is, I arrived in Bangkok, sans carnet, someone from the company met us
and took us through customs. He said a few words to them and they didn't
even look at the boxes, just waved us through. From immigration to bag
pickup to customs took all of 10 minutes.

I assume that had we not had the guy there to say the magic words, it would
have been more cumbersome. At any rate, much ado about nothing.

It's very hot and humid in Bangkok, in case anyone was wondering... But
super friendly people.
--
Michael Sauder
Show Control Programming and Design