[SML] steel toe boots (was: AB5 Safety Glove Mark VIII)

Riter, Andrew andrew.riter at ubc.ca
Tue Aug 2 21:10:02 UTC 2016

Two stories, not mine (fortunately):

1)  co-worker, on another job site, had the lift of the 5-ton truck flip itself open onto his booted foot.  Unfortunately, the steel hit further up his foot, than the toe protected, breaking the bone(s?) on the top of the foot.

2) long ago, a different co-worker was riding his motorbike.  A parked car pulled out into him.  The point of impact was his foot and the foot peg.  At the hospital (after the nurses finished with the “motorcycle riders = organ donors” jokes, it was noted that the PLASTIC toe cap probably saved his foot, since the plastic bent in and then sprung back.  A Steel “steel toe” boot probably would have bent in and stayed crimped, taking the toes with it when they pulled the boot off.

Andrew M. Riter
Assistant Technical Director / Head Lighting Technician

604-822-2372
Andrew.riter at ubc.ca<mailto:Andrew.riter at ubc.ca>