[SML] Relays vs. Traditional Circuit Breakers for LED Power.

Rob Graham photonguide at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 02:45:03 UTC 2016

We're in the midst of looking at upgrading a significant portion of
our stage lighitng to LED in the near future.  As part of the
exploration, vendors have suggested the addition/installation of relay
controlled breakers to supply power to the various positions.  One of
our own University electricians asked me "why do you have to have
relays, couldn't you just flip the breakers?" I didn't have an answer
that I felt good about giving him, so I'm here now asking the
collective -

Is there an absolute "must have" reason for the remote relays,
especially given that we're looking at full rack replacement, and the
installation of a new control network anyway? Access to the panel
would be very convenient; it's not likely to be placed in a
hard-to-reach spot. I'd really like to have a reason other than "the
recommendation of the vendor is to use this."

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom.

-RG

--
Rob Graham
photonguide at gmail.com