[SML] Relays vs. Traditional Circuit Breakers for LED Power.

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Thu Aug 11 03:43:56 UTC 2016

I'd go back to the vendor and ask them why they suggest this, with
citations to the manufacturer's technical justification to sell this
increased cost to the money people.  My suspicion is that it's a high
profit item.

Sequenced circuit breaker panels are used generally to ramp up heavy
power demand items in industrial settings.  The power company and it's
power generating and distribution system don't like sudden large loads
unexpectedly sucking down lots of electrons.  Say you have a large
electrically heated tunnel oven in your bakery.  It will have dozens and
dozens of seperate heating elements.  Turning them on and off in
sequence gives the power system enough time to respond to the ramp up or
down of your load.

   the other reason for sequenced breakers is for systems where some
parts of the gear need to be up and running before other parts.  Like a
large sound reinforcement system.  You power up the portions of the
system in order, and the amplifiers get turned on last and turned off
first.  The transient power up or down noises that are emitted by some
sound system components can damage speakers if amplified.

Dale