[SML] Relays vs. Traditional Circuit Breakers for LED Power.

Chad Croteau ccroteau at start.ca
Thu Aug 11 12:25:02 UTC 2016

Hey Robert,

My College venue has sequencing relay/breaker panels.  I think they were a
big expense that didn't really have any added value to the installation.
Yes, they do sequence themselves, and you can program in delays to help
minimize inrush current overload, but at almost 3x the cost of a breaker
panel, I'm not convinced it was worth the money.

The initial argument was they could be DMX controlled so you only had to
power up the relays you needed, and you could use them to trigger
non-lighting effects (confetti cannons, etc.) but they have a several second
delay to them from the time you signal them to turn on to the time they
actually turn on.  We've also been finding that having "dead" circuits is
annoying when  you're trying to patch things in, so we end up turning on all
the circuits all the time anyway.

If it were my dollars, I'd insist on SD (switch duty) rated breaker panels,
and just turn power on/off as part of my daily start-up and shut-down
procedures in the venue.

To answer the question about the value of powering down LED fixtures when
not in use, ETC recommends that the Selador fixtures be powered down when
not in use.  There are a bit of power savings that come with powering down
LED fixtures when not in use.  Also, if you consider that non-dim circuits
can be used for anything from moving lights to foggers, to scrollers to
whatever, it makes sense to power them down.

Just my opinion...

Chad