[SML] lay out methods

Richard John Archer rja10 at cornell.edu
Sun Aug 14 19:42:15 UTC 2016

Generally I use a laser to establish my right angle points and then measure.  Even something “cheaper” , like a Dewalt self leveling three beam laser will work.  You don’t necessarily need a PLS tool but they are the best.   Of course, pre figure everything on the page first.
Same thing in bigger arena shows but often takes longer to make that zero-zero point.  If you are trying to do 100 points (or more) plan on another day ( or overnight call for a layout crew).   Good lasers are critical here, especially if dealing with high steel.
In my “home” theatre  space we have masonite sacrificial floor layed out centered and parallel with the proscenium opening so measuring is fairly quick.

DickA
TD. Cornell U

What is everyone’s preferred method for laying out points on the stage floor?  Could be motor/rigging points, could be key dimensions of your set, could be the location of a trap you need to cut.