[SML] Sawstop

Duncan Mahoney dmahoney at usc.edu
Tue Aug 16 20:10:10 UTC 2016

Someone has invented a table saw that lowers the blade without ruining the blade, and the cartridge that does it has 2 "lives".. .. Bosch.   Unfortunately, Sawstop is suing to prevent sales of the Bosch saw in the USA.  My opinion of the Sawstop Corp dropped a notch or two when I heard that...

Anyway, back to Kristi's original question, as others have said, it's the riving knife.  Somewhere there should be another part that has anti-kickback pawls and a blade guard for use when making through cuts.  Or if you have an overarm guard, that may have been disposed of.

There are 2 styles of brake cartridge (and dado set brake cartridges), blue or clear, and they don't interchange.  So make sure to order the correct one.  If you don't have a manual, get the serial # off the saw and contact Sawstop.  You really need a manual, there are some specific adjustments you have to make to the saw, like the clearance between the blade and the brake, and if the adjustments are off far enough the saw won't run.

The blade is not always ruined, it depends on the blade, and how fast it was going when the brake tripped, and how hard you had to pry the blade or brake to remove them.  The brake and blade have to come off the pins and arbor at the same time.  We have not tripped on flesh, but we've gone through about 8 brakes on things like mirrored plexi, aluminium/mylar tape, and hardware if it manages to contact the blade and riving knife (or the carpenter) at the same time.  I keep more than one spare brake on hand...

We were an early Sawstop adopter, so if you have any other questions feel free to contact me off list

Duncan Mahoney
Director of Technical Direction
Associate Professor of Theatre Practice
University of Southern California School of Dramatic Arts