[SML] Podium

Herrick Goldman Herrick at hglightingdesign.com
Wed Aug 24 13:59:24 UTC 2016

Just found this quote on facebook and figured it’s been too long since we had a refresher:

"When you stand up to make a speech, it helps to have a PODIUM, a ROSTRUM, or a LECTERN. The first two (different root sources) are platforms for speakers, conductors, or leaders: a podium (Greek, “foot) is a place to stand, a foot above the others, so that you may be seen and heard. Rostrum (Latin, “beak”) comes from a platform in the forum of Rome; it was decorated with images of Roman war galleys, which have a prow shaped like a beak. A lectern (Latin, “to read”) differs from the others in that you cannot stand on it; instead, it is designed with a sloping top and a low shelf at the bottom so that you can rest a book or papers on it.”

--
Herrick Goldman
Lighting Designer, NYC