[SML] Fire hoses was Re: Cell phone lasers

Dougherty, Jim jdougher at middlebury.edu
Mon Aug 29 19:20:21 UTC 2016

> Your points are valid but as it concerns stages in particular, Ibelieve that there are less or much less combustible materials than100+ years ago when these requirements were first developed

Point taken. Fires like the Iroquois have helped us learn and improve. However, we've also introduced synthetic materials with a higher BTU density than the natural materials that preceded them - urethane foam seat upholstery, synthetic lines, polystyrene insulation as a scenic material. A stage is no place to be if it's on fire.

If there are extinguishers in your space, and I hope there are, train with them. We go to the health and safety office because they have the funding and offer the classes. If that's not an option, contact your local FD. They may have the resources and be looking for a positive PR outreach. If nothing else, they'll have leads on who you can contact. Another option is the local firm that refills and tests extinguishers.

-  Jim Dougherty