[SML] Question to the consultants and architects out there....

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Thu Dec 1 16:27:05 UTC 2016

..And associated building programmers out there, I suspect...

Is there any sort of requirement/code for requiring a sink with
running water in a space designated as a "band room?"  Or is the sink
just a convenience? Health/safety codes require this?

Brief background: our instrumental music dept has been exploding, due
to a very hard working Director of Instrumental Music.... and last
year they added another jazz band and hired another teacher for the
new band, and for orchestra, and strings.... and now are talking about
adding a THIRD jazz band and another music teacher.  Sounds awesome,
right? Seven bands (plus Pep Band) in one school....

Except it comes at the expense of the the other programs in the
building... the black box, once home to drama classes and (gasp!)
productions, is ALSO now home to the new jazz band, and with the
coming 3rd jazz band, they want to take the mainstage, as well....

Besides loss of storage, loss of flexibility in using the black box
and stage for their intended purposes, the slobber all over the floors
is  maddening, and can't be healthy... (also considering both floors
are wood, not vinyl composite tile....)

Anyway... just curious if there are any building or health/safety
codes that require sinks in said spaces...

--
Jon Ares
www.arescreative.com