[SML] Oakland warehouse fire

Ben Thoron SML bthoronsml at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 18:50:36 UTC 2016

An artist's "collective" rented space from us a couple of years ago.  They
attempted to do the same thing, divvying  up the space haphazardly and
hazardly and hosting exactly this type of event.  It was difficult, even as
the landlord, to restrict the activity, until the annual fire department
inspection.  Never have I been more glad to have an AHJ to turn to.
There are lots of zoning and building codes on the books already, the
challenge is to enforce them quickly enough to save lives.  Cities and
counties only have so much money, they can't inspect every venue that pops
up on Facebook...

Horrible loss of life.  So sad.
Ben Thoron
The old globe