[SML] Hairspray "Hairspray "

Joe D jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 9 18:30:44 UTC 2016

Of course, if you post to this list, in addition to the replies from people with real knowledge, you are also going to get a lot of speculation. This post falls in the latter category.

I see that the ingredients for the spray haze type products are propane, butane, and mineral oil.  So, obviously the mineral oil is not an ideal thing to get on your face and hair.  But, mineral oil haze is actually quite fine, and is not as oily as you might think.  Still, mineral oil does not wash off that easily.

By the way, I was looking for a static-cling spray, and was surprised to see similar flammable propellants in it.  And combining that with the sparks that static electricity can create, seems a bad combination. Freon had its advantages.  I wish we had an acceptable substitute for aerosol cans.

Here are some tricks that have nothing to do with what is in the spray can;

I lighting is important to have the fog/haze show up well.  Ideally, a lot of back-light with the background being relatively dark.

Another trick works because it is difficult to detect depth from where the audience is seated.  Simply avoid spraying the lady's hair and face entirely, or perhaps just partially.  Spraying upstage or downstage of the person may be perceived as being on the person.

Finally, if it is desired for a general haze to apparently be generated from all that spraying, an actual hazer in the area would be the obvious answer.

Joe Dunfee
jdunfee12 at yahoo.com