[SML] question for router wizards

Paul G. pguncheon at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 22:40:58 UTC 2016

May as well jump in a little deeper. I'm assuming that this project is a one-off. That being the case, methinks cutting out a template and using a pattern or trimming bit would essentially be double work. I mean, why not just cut out the actual piece rather than a template? Also, as it's a one shot deal, learning some new technology (i.e. the eclipse cutting jig) including finding and solving all the problems therein would be a waste of time. At least to my way of thinking. I can see too many issues with the ellipse cutting device that would need to be addressed. The tolerances in the sliding bits have to be really tight as as little as 1/64th inch slop is going to translate into some unacceptable errors out at the cutting end... as will any flex or misplaced holes in the sliding arms. With me, problems don't seem to get easier by adding more and newer but perhaps more interesting problems.

Also, though it hasn't been mentioned, if the material is rare or expensive, say old growth Sapient Pearwood, I wouldn't use what is new technology to me until it was old technology to me.

As a wrote earlier, I would draw and then cut out the ellipses with a Bosch saw and sand to the line with a belt sander. (Known to tool geeks as a "Scintilla" saw, the Bosch barrel grip is my saw of choice. I have used one for over forty years and have probably made 50 miles of cuts or more with one.) If I needed the edge to be dead-on square, I would make a jig to hold the belt sander that would either be stationary, in which case I would move the work, or of a type that would either roll or slide against the work which, in this latter case, would be stationary.

Mr. Paul's Law of What To Do #37
If the work is heavier or more awkward than the tool, bring the tool to the work. If the tool is heavier than the work... well, you figure out the rest.

Bill's idea of larger and larger base plates is the simplest solution for doing this with a router. Simple is always good. Circles are easy to cut and center on the router. Drill a 1/4" hole in the center of the circle and chuck a 1/4" bit in the router. Slide the circle over the bit and Bob's your mother's brother. Once the circular base is attached to your router, remove the 1/4" bit (if you're not using it for your cutting), drill out clearance for a larger router bit and your set to go.

Laters,

Paul 1

Sent from my iPad