[SML] Flying Effects / Aerial Dance, Liability, and "Certification"

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 17:37:59 UTC 2016

Dear Stephen,
I concur that you should bring in a VERY well-insured professional. If your
institution is self-insured, or even if it is not, your program could be
cut back severely if an accident causing death or severe bodily harm
occured.
/s/ Richard
_________

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 8:51 AM, Stephen Litterst via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> On 2/1/16 11:42 AM, Damon Gelb via Stagecraft wrote:
>
> At issue now is that some of the faculty and department chair are
>> wondering why we - meaning myself as TD and and my assistant - cannot
>> get "certified" to do the work ourselves rather than continue to pay
>> to have the work professionally designed and installed.  My response
>> is that there are professionals and companies who deal with these
>> types of specific flying effects for good reason.  Yet the grumbling
>> continues...So here is what I am wondering.  How have you, as a TD or
>> rigger at a venue dealt with this when asked?  Am I being to strict in
>> drawing the line by saying I won't do a simple raise / lower system
>> for theatre piece?  Would any professionals on the list be willing to
>> share statements or documentation to support my claim that flying -
>> ANY flying - must and should be handled by a professional flying
>> company?'
>>

> I'd suggest having a chat with your campus risk-management office. I'd be
> willing to bet the cost of bringing in a professional flying expert is much
> less than expanding your institution's insurance coverage to cover doing it
> in-house. Find out those numbers and take that to your department chair.
>
> Steve L.
>

> --
> Stephen Litterst            Technical Operations Supervisor
> litterst at udel.edu           Mitchell Hall
> 302/831-0601                University of Delaware

/s/ Richard
_________