[SML] Flying Effects / Aerial Dance, Liability, and "Certification"

gbierly gbierly at dejazzd.com
Mon Feb 1 17:44:07 UTC 2016

> How have you, as a TD or rigger at a venue dealt with this when asked?  Am I being to strict in drawing the line by saying I won't do a simple raise / lower system for theatre piece?

To quote someone far more knowledgeable than me on the list "If you aren't comfortable doing it, don't do it" (Delbert Hall).

I remember sitting in a seminar that Delbert did at a USITT Chesapeake section expo MANY moons ago and he said those words of wisdom and they reverberate in my head many times a year when I am rigging anything.

I have been in the same situation as you many times.  Most of the time I have stuck to my guns and refused unless we hired a professional.  After 30 years I have realized that pretty much everyone in this industry started somewhere and there is no industry wide certification for flying people (or until ETCP "things" either).  Foy didn't get handed a certificate that allowed him to fly Peter Pan the first time.  Obviously your employer has the ultimate say (and their insurance company).  If you have learned enough from the times you have used a professional to KNOW what they would do, AND you have the resources'/materials, AND your employers blessing, AND you are comfortable doing a simple lift, then there isn't too much else that can stop you other than the little voice.

If you are like me, that little voice is always going to ask "am I comfortable?" and most of the time it is no.

Good luck.

Greg Bierly
Performing Arts Center Manager
Hempfield High School